7 Fastest Web Hosting Companies
We want it and we want it fast.
Everything all the time – especially our hosting.
It’s no secret – the fastest web hosting is the best web hosting.
Google engineers have found that many Internet users get frustrated by waiting even 400 milliseconds for a website to load.
High speed hosting services not only improve user experience, they also:
- Have a positive impact on search engine ranking (Google admitted it)
- Increase amount of time on site because users are comfortable browsing more
- Helps with resource delivery
- Make you more attractive
Ok, the last part was a lie. But the reality is, in about the time it takes to blink your eye, you could lose a visitor to your site. That could mean losing a $250,000 deal, losing a new donor to your charity, or losing a new fan.
Don’t lose fans because of your lazy speeds.
The engineers also found that if your site is about 250 milliseconds slower than a competitor’s site, they will more likely choose your competitor’s site.
Competition is fierce.
To cut to the chase, these are some of the fastest web hosts on the planet:
|Web Host||Load Time (s)|
Various speed studies have placed these seven hosts as the fastest options for 2019 and beyond:
1) WP Engine
Average Speed: 0.36 seconds
WP Engine was founded on speed. They started out primarily as a platform for developers obsessed with speed (and still are). These bad boys went all in on WordPress hosting before it was cool. Since then, scores of copycats have popped up.
Has it paid off?
Yes, to the tune of a cool $250 million in funding this year.
I’ll put it this way, if you’ve got a large, complex, WordPress site where every second counts – go with WP Engine, you won’t be disappointed (claim 20% off with this link).
WP Engine pushes speed like it’s the holy grail – which it is, sometimes.
2) A2 Hosting
Average Speed: 0.37 seconds
A2 Hosting has staked their reputation on trying to be the fastest web host in all the lands. They event put it front and center on their home page:
But the important thing to know is that you don’t get 20x speed on the start plan, you have to go for the Turbo Plan (great name) for that:
If you want to get more into the details of their plans, here you go:
- Shared hosting with CloudLinux: Customers can use a site building tool or do their site’s coding themselves. The first two options include standard speeds; the fastest option is hosted on the Turbo server and features the A2 Optimized Site Accelerator. Once customers have outgrown the shared hosting, they can upgrade to a dedicated server.
- A2 offers two dedicated hosting options: Flex for developers and experts and Managed Flex, a user-friendly route that tosses in cPanel for free. A2 guarantees 99.9% uptime and blazing fast speeds.
- Managed and unmanaged VPS hosting: The unmanaged hosting offers client-designed packages that can include Linux OS and A2’s own installer program, or managed hosting, which includes software, hardware, network, and security monitoring.
- Cloud hosting: on the SwiftServer Platform, which features page loads up to 300 percent faster than standard drives.
- Reseller hosting: has three separate plans, all of which offer resellers unlimited client accounts.
The offer around-the-clock technical support at all levels, and have combined the best of OpenCart, WordPress, Drupal and Joomla to provide customers with fast page load speeds.
Average Speed: 0.42 seconds
HostGator Cloud is not the same as basic HostGator.
It’s faster, better, stronger – built for more robust and growing websites.
But even better, it doesn’t have the same price tag as expensive cloud hosting providers.
What we love about these HostGator Cloud plans
- Very low cloud pricing at $4.95/mo and up
- Free SSL on all plans
- Unlimited domains on Baby Cloud and Business Cloud
- As a host of more than 8 million domains and 850 employees, you can trust they’re a solid company
HostGator, which was founded in 2002, has been providing speedy service since the beginning. The company has a 99.9% uptime guarantee, responsive customer support and additional hosting options for WordPress and applications.
If you’re looking for super fast, entry-level cloud hosting this is the way to go.
Note: HostGator also has WordPress Cloud hosting – slightly different, but great if you’re on WordPress
Average Speed: 0.44 seconds
Cloudways is a bit different from the other hosts on here.
They are a layer on top of super fast and super powerful mega-hosts:
- Google Cloud
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Digital Ocean
Essentially, these huge cloud hosting companies are built for developers – not beginners.
What Cloudways does is help make accessing all of those hosts easy for you, and simplifies the process.
They add on layers of value, such as:
- 24/7 Expert Support
- Managed Backups
- Managed Security
- Advanced Caching
If you’re looking for a good hybrid of super-scalable high-speed hosting and 24/7 support, go with Cloudways.
Average Speed: 0.54 seconds
They are laser focused on creating the best hosting for WordPress users who want managed hosting, secure hosting, super fast speed, and even better – on the Google Cloud platform.
There’s fast, then there’s Kinsta fast.
They even said it themselves:
The thing I love about them is how elegant they carry themselves. Yes they want to humblebrag a bit, but they back it up with actual testing and education for other site owners.
Those in the know are switching en masse from other hosts over to Kinsta. They’re worth a look.
Average Speed: 0.62 seconds
InMotion is one of those hosts that’s just been around forever, but they’re still rocking away.
They’ve invested in multiple ISPs and data peering in order to deliver fasters speeds no matter where your users are:
One really cool demonstration they have on the page is the ability to download files from two data centers to see which is faster – it’s pretty cool, try it out:
They’ve actually surprised us in some of our research, and have proven to be a very fast and reliable host.
Since 2001, InMotion Hosting has been customer-focused, and offers data centers in Los Angeles and Virginia Beach – and allows customers of certain individual packages to choose the data center that works best for their clients’ Web sites.
- InMotion offers three different shared hosting plans with free SSD and a free domain name. Coding is available in several languages, they provide integration for Google apps, and secure IMAP email.
- Six dedicated server options offer free cPanel and WHM, free SSD – with faster load times – and 99.99% net uptime. They offer managed hosting, and launch assist, a one-on-one admin setup program that can help optimize your site, speed up your pages or set up your server.
- VPS hosting includes free SSD, a free domain name, a free full cPanel license, and unlimited domains and MySQL databases. InMotion Hosting runs CentOS 6 Enterprise Class Linux.
- Resellers can choose from three plans, which all include free SSD, eNom accounts, WHMCS billing software, dedicated IP addresses, full cPanel licenses and transfers and backups.
InMotion support is available around-the-clock, with support chat and Skype options. They offer a 99.9% uptime guarantee.
Average Speed: 0.71 seconds
SiteGround is probably the best overall host for most people.
They combine a deep well of technical knowlege, with excellent customer service and rock-bottom prices that compete with the best.
To make their hosted sites super fast, they’ve implemented a good amount of technologies to make your site faster than a rocket.
How do they do it? A few ways:
The SiteGround SuperCacher comes in three levels, depending on what you need for your site:
- Level 2: Dynamic Cache is great for dynamic sites like WordPress – which caches the HTML which was generated by the PHP code. Instead of generated the PHP code every time and making calls, it just references the saved HTML. All you need to know is that it’s better this way.
- Level 3: Memcached is hardcore – it is technology used by sites like YouTube, Facebook, Wikipedia and a host of other huge sites. Rather than digging into the database for queries every time, it caches them directly on the RAM. So if you have a database-powered site, this is the way you want to go.
Free Cloudflare CDN
With SiteGround hosting they integrate with the free CloudFlare CDN. While the CloudFlare CDN starts at free anywhere, it’s extra helpful to have it directly integrated into your host – that’s one less thing to do.
SSD Drives not Solid State
To be fair, a lot of hosts have moved to SSD drives, so SiteGround isn’t the only one, but bear in mind that it’s extremely fast compared to the “old-school” way of doing things.
Not only are they fast, they’re nice. They’re efficient. They’re there when you need them. You want to take them home to mom.
Is SiteGround the slowest host of these seven?
No. And you shouldn’t be choosing purely on speed tests.
Load speed is important, but it’s only one variable among many. SiteGround is one of my favorite hosts, so don’t let their ranking here turn you away.
The Basics of Super Fast Hosting
It’s important to remember that the loading speeds can vary greatly based upon the hosting plan sites are using. A shared hosting plan, for example, won’t always run as fast as a VPS or dedicated server plan.
When you’re choosing a host, balance the speed performance and the pricing options.
While higher-priced options often include more features, fewer limits on space and bandwidth, and faster speeds, analyze your needs.
Unlimited domains may be an attractive feature for larger companies that owns a shedload of domains; if you are looking to publish a blog and can still get blazing speeds on a one-site shared host plan, that might be a better option. Even among shared hosting plans, customers can see different speeds based on the features, data center locations and times of the day.
In addition to the hosting plan you’ve chosen and your physical distance from the hosting company’s data center, particular design elements on any hosting plan can also affect how fast your sites load. If your site has been optimized, you’ll be using less bandwidth and lower processing unit percentages.
Optimizing your site can mean compressing and editing images, compressing scripts, including meta descriptions, title and header tags, and adding image titles and file names.
When you choose super fast web hosting, your work has just begun.
A Note on our Methodology
If you do research online, you’ll find many sites testing hosting providers on their own on one-off monitoring tests.
We think that’s great, but still missing some pieces of the puzzle.
What we’ve done on our own is do manually research and gather data on reports across the web of what people are seeing with page load times.
We then aggregate that data to give you the best sense of what speeds you can expect.
This version was updated in April 2019 and we’ll be continuously updating as we gather more intel.