7 Fastest Web Hosting Companies
When you’re searching for a Web host, speed and performance are two of the top factors to consider. High-speed hosting services can boost your search engine rankings and increase your customer satisfaction. Google engineers have found that many Internet users get frustrated by waiting even 400 milliseconds for a Web site to load. In about the time it takes to blink your eye, you could lose a visitor to your site. The engineers also found that if your Web site is about 250 milliseconds slower than a competitor’s site, they will more likely choose your competitor’s site.
It’s important to remember that the loading speeds can vary greatly based upon the hosting plan sites are using. A shared hosting plan, for example, won’t always run as fast as a VPS or dedicated server plan. When you’re choosing a host, balance the speed performance and the pricing options. While higher-priced options often include more features, fewer limits on space and bandwidth, and faster speeds, analyze your needs. Unlimited domains may be an attractive feature for larger companies; if you are looking to publish a blog and can still get blazing speeds on a one-site shared host plan, that might be a better option. Even among shared hosting plans, customers can see different speeds based on the features, data center locations and times of the day.
In addition to the hosting plan you’ve chosen and your physical distance from the hosting company’s data center, particular design elements on any hosting plan can also affect how fast your sites load. If your Web site has been optimized, you’ll be using less bandwidth and lower processing unit percentages. Optimizing your site can mean compressing and editing images, compressing scripts, including meta descriptions, title and header tags, and adding image titles and file names.
Various speed studies have placed these seven hosts as the fastest options for 2016:
Average Speed: 155 ms
This Michigan-based company was launched in 2001, and provides several categories of hosting:
- Shared hosting with CloudLinux. Customers can use a site building tool or do their site’s coding themselves. The first two options include standard speeds; the fastest option is hosted on the Turbo server and features the A2 Optimized Site Accelerator. Once customers have outgrown the shared hosting, they can upgrade to a dedicated server.
- A2 offers two dedicated hosting options: Flex for developers and experts and Managed Flex, a user-friendly route that tosses in cPanel for free. A2 guarantees 99.9% uptime and blazing fast speeds.
- Managed and unmanaged VPS hosting. The unmanaged hosting offers client-designed packages that can include Linux OS and A2’s own installer program, or managed hosting, which includes software, hardware, network, and security monitoring.
- Cloud hosting on the SwiftServer Platform, which features page loads up to 300 percent faster than standard drives.
- Reseller hosting has three separate plans, all of which offer resellers unlimited client accounts.
The offer around-the-clock technical support at all levels, and have combined the best of OpenCart, WordPress, Drupal and Joomla to provide customers with fast page load speeds.
Average Speed: 550 ms
Started in 2003 and headquartered in San Luis Obispo, Arvixe offers Linux CentOS and ASP.Net Windows hosting for each of their plans:
- Shared hosting is available with Linux or Windows hosting. Both plans offer unlimited disk space, bandwidth, and up to six domains. The high-speed version allows customers to create unlimited Web sites.
- Dedicated hosting includes the same features as the shared hosting, along with a dedicated IP address.
- Arvixe also offers Windows and Linux VPS hosting, with 40 GB of disk space and unlimited bandwidth. The higher option increases the disk space, memory, cores and IP addresses
- Customizable single- and multi- processor servers.
Hosting options abound, with WordPress, ExpressionEngine, and movable type sites for blogs, CMS plans for Joomla, Drupal and Concrete5, E-commerce hosting with nopCommerce and Magento, video sharing software through ClipBucket and PHPMotion, and plans for forums and social networks.
Average Speed: 197 ms
This Houston-based company has been operating since 1996, hosting more than one million Web sites with one shared hosting plan.
At only $2.75 each month, the eHost plans include credits for Google AdWords, Yahoo and Bing, 1 GB of cloud storage through justcloud, CMS tools with b2evolution and WordPress blogging tools.
They also offer a design suite, with a drag and drop building program, templates and photo galleries. The marketing suite offers Web site authentication, SEO tips, and site analytics; the support suite includes 24/7 phone, email and chat service, calls answered in fewer than two minutes and professionals ready to help at any time.
eHost has a 45-day money back guarantee, free domain names, unlimited MySQL databases and domains from your cPanel hosting account, and unmetered bandwidth and storage space.
Average Speed: 188 ms
As a host of more than 8 million domains and 850 employees, HostGator provides a wide variety of options:
- Three shared hosting plans, all with unmetered bandwidth, ranging from a one domain option to a business plan that includes private SSL, dedicated IPs and a toll-free number.
- Eight total dedicated hosting plans, with four each on Linux or Windows servers. All Linux servers include cPanel, and all Windows servers include Plesk.
- Five CentOS Linux VPS plans, ranging from the Snappy 500 to the Snappy 8000 offer have semi-managed options; higher options also include a cPanel option.
- Resellers can choose from five different plans, all with unlimited domains
HostGator, which was founded in 2002, has been providing speedy service since the beginning. The company has a 99.9% uptime guarantee, responsive customer support and additional hosting options for WordPress and applications.
Average Speed: 182 ms
Since 2001, InMotion Hosting has been customer-focused, and offers data centers in Los Angeles and Virginia Beach – and allows customers of certain individual packages to choose the data center that works best for their clients’ Web sites.
- InMotion offers three different shared hosting plans with free SSD and a free domain name. Coding is available in several languages, they provide integration for Google apps, and secure IMAP email.
- Six dedicated server options offer free cPanel and WHM, free SSD – with faster load times – and 99.99% net uptime. They offer managed hosting, and launch assist, a one-on-one admin setup program that can help optimize your site, speed up your pages or set up your server.
- VPS hosting includes free SSD, a free domain name, a free full cPanel license, and unlimited domains and MySQL databases. InMotion Hosting runs CentOS 6 Enterprise Class Linux.
- Resellers can choose from three plans, which all include free SSD, eNom accounts, WHMCS billing software, dedicated IP addresses, full cPanel licenses and transfers and backups.
InMotion support is available around-the-clock, with support chat and Skype options. They offer a 99.9% uptime guarantee.
Average Speed: 610 ms
Since its founding in 2003, Linode has been growing, with customers in more than 125 countries and eight data centers – four in the US, two in Europe and two in Asia Pacific.
Linode refers to each Linux server instance as a Linode, and VPS hosting is dependent on the RAM for each of nine plans. All plans offer a 40 Gbps network in speed, and provide variable storage and network out speeds.
The company guarantees a 99.9% uptime guarantee, and with data center options around the world, companies are free to change options down the road. They offer several facilities speed tests to determine each client’s ideal location.
Started in 2001 with a mission to improve provision for small businesses, this Virginia Beach company offers shared hosting with themes, one-click installs, and building tools for WordPress, BoldGrid, Drupal, cPanel, Softaculous, Joomla, and Moodle, along with several e-commerce solutions.
They offer three plans, all of which include a free domain, solid-state drive, and advertising credits. They also provide unlimited bandwidth, disk space, e-mail addresses and FTP accounts. The top two plans also include unlimited Web sites, unlimited MySQL and Postgre SQL databases and unlimited sub-domains, as well as a discount on Web design.
Web Hosting Hub offers 24/7 support, with reps all based in the U.S. While they make no guarantees on their uptime, some have reported a remarkably high uptime status. They also provide two data centers, so customers can choose the one closest to their clients and see even faster speeds.