What is JustHost?
JustHost is a web hosting provider that offers Linux-based shared hosting services. JustHost was founded in 2002 in Glendale, California, and was acquired by Endurance International Group in 2012.
How Good is JustHost Hosting?
JustHost offers relatively standard shared hosting packages for a fairly competitive price. There isn’t much that distinguishes them from other EIG-acquired companies, rather, they demonstrate many of the tell-tale signs of this acquisition. While you may be tempted by attractive introductory pricing and sign-up features, the actual service delivered is mediocre at best. JustHost lags considerably behind their competitors in speed, uptime, and customer service.
Just Host Hosting Review: Worth a Shot?
Just Host – maybe you have a friend using them and so you thought they were worth a try.
Or you've been hosting with them since they started in 2002 and you're wondering if they're still any good.
If you look around the web, the reviews of Just Host aren't too pleasant.
We'll give you our opinion and let you make up your mind.
Just Host’s shared hosting packages appear to make a strong case for your business: competitively priced, a clear and affordable path to scale up, plenty of storage space, and several other goodies to boot.
The quality of service delivered, however, is all around lackluster. With slow page loading speeds, below average uptime, and frustrating customer service practices, we recommend passing on Just Host. For around the same price, you can get similar packages with better service with SiteGround or Bluehost (another EIG brand).
Best Features of Just Host Hosting
To be sure, Just Host offers some attractive features that make them worth your consideration. Here are some reasons why they may have caught your eye.
1) Competitive Packages in Terms of Space
With their most basic plan, Just Host offers 100MB of storage, 100 email addresses, back ups, and a free domain name, and unlimited monthly data transfers. This is a fairly competitive package for the base price of $3.50/month. There is also a clear path to scale up with Just Hosting, as unlimited domains can be hosted with them for just an extra $1.50/month. It’s easy to see how someone might be interested in Just Host based on the price point per space offered.
2) Instant Sign Up
An immediate dealbreaker for many customers, international ones especially, is a prohibitively lengthy signup process. Some hosts require that your identification is verified, and many require that you call them during business hours to complete your verification. For anyone living outside of the States, or even just in a different time zone, navigating call center hours is just one more hassle that we all feel the industry should have grown out of by now. To Just Host’s credit, they provision your server instantly. Their sign up process is easy and your site will be ready to go live immediately after sign up.
3) Free Domain Name
We like a free domain name just as much as anyone. And sure if you're only hosting with them for a year, it saves you $10.
But it's not something that will seal the deal, just something nice to have
4) 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
We like this, and it's a sign of a great host. If they're willing to give you a full refund within 30 days, they're worth your time. They're willing to spend time and money make you happy, so this is a definite plus that a shoddy host wouldn't do
5) Backed by a Large Company
This is both a pro and a con. They were bought by EIG back in 2012, which is good for security reasons. You know that they're not going to let everything melt to the ground and sell your credit card to hackers. At the very worst, they'll make you move to Bluehost. The downside is that they are a big corporation. You may get slow wait times, subpar support, and general boring features of a big company.
6) App Integration and Freebies
If there is anything to be said in favor of choosing a corporately owned web host, it is that there are definite perks to be had in the form of ease of integration with other corporations, like Google. Just Host works seamlessly with all of the standard Google add-ons, as well as 100 other open-source platforms. Just Host will also throw in Google and Bing advertising credits, which is a nice bonus for a new website looking to experiment with AdWords and SEO.
Downsides of Just Host Hosting
While there are certainly some things that Just Host does a nice job at, our position is that there are far to many places where they fall short. If speed, uptime, and customer service are important to you, and they are to most people, then you should give Just Host a hard pass. Here is more about those shortcomings, as well as some other issues we take with their services:
1) Below Industry Average in Uptime
Just Host’s uptime average for 2015-2016 came out to 99.89%. To a layman, that can seem like a pretty good average. But if you do the math, it translates to nearly 100 hours of downtime per year. Furthermore, this is a significant way behind the industry average of 99.96% uptime. If your website is monetized, every hour of downtime costs you money – this is something that should be carefully considered before choosing Just Host as your web hosting provider.
2) Below Industry Average in Speed
Page load times are incredibly important to both your search engine rankings and your overall user experience. Not only are users prone to bounce from your site if it takes too long to load, but Google will also push your site further down in the search results if they feel your site is too slow. This is why it is no small detractor that Just Host’s average page load times are between 30-40% slower than the industry average. With a page load speeds of around 950ms, they are considerably behind other similarly priced hosts. A2 Hosting, the fastest host we’ve reviewed to date, loads pages in 210ms. Another EIG owned company with a similar cost, A Small Orange, loads pages in around 520ms.
3) Slow Customer Support with Upsells to Boot
A quick perusal of customer reviews of Just Host’s customer service speaks volumes. As is frequently the case with EIG companies, customer service related complaints begin to spike just immediately after acquisition. Just Host is no exception in the regard. You can expect to wait 10-20 minutes to get connected to customer service, either via the phone or instant chat. Once you do, their reps can’t quite seem to meet you where you are at; you will frequently be given links to their FAQs pages, or recommendations for basic troubleshooting that you’ve already tried. Furthermore, you’ll encounter upsells at every turn. While upsells are not the worst thing a company can do to its customers, this practice is terribly frustrating when you are just trying to get a problem fixed.
4) Server Backups Not Guaranteed
Just Host lists weekly server backups as one of the services they offer, something that many of their competitors do as well, if not more frequently. However, read the fine print and you’ll see that these backups aren’t guaranteed. Not terribly reassuring, right? Obviously the security of your data isn’t to be trusted entirely with Just Host, so if you should choose them as your service provider, make sure that you are performing manual backups.
5) No VPS
Many hosting providers offer a VPS option as an upgrade from a shared hosting plan. Short for Virtual Private Server, it means that you are renting a dedicated section of space from a server. Just Host does not have this option. Furthermore, Just Host does not offer cloud hosting options. While their shared hosting plans scale in a predictable and useful way, Just Host is not the company to choose if you plan to scale your business using VPS.
6) No Catchall Email
One of the key features that Just Host is lacking is a catchall email feature. Even though Just Host offers an unlimited amount of domains, this catchall email can make it so that you miss out on some important emails.
That $3.45/month price that attracted you to Just Host in the first place comes with a big catch: you only get that price if you’re willing to purchase their services for 3 years. Especially considering their money-back guarantee is only available for the first 30 days of service, that is a very large chunk of money you are being asked to shell out upfront. While many would be happy to pay upfront for the right service, all things considered, Just Host doesn’t make the most compelling case for why you should strap yourself down to them for such a long period of time. If you are going to choose a corporately owned host, we'd recommend GoDaddy or HostGator instead, where the business models are more mature.
- Quick Set Up
- Clear Path to Scale with Shared Hosting
- Competitive Space Offerings
- Free Domain
- No VPS
- No Catchall Email
- Back Ups Not Guaranteed
- Customer Service is Lackluster
- Below Average Speed and Uptime
Be the first to leave a review.
JustHost Questions and Answers
With so many web hosting options available, how do you know which service is the right one for your business website or sites? We know it can be a difficult decision, so that’s why we do most of the research for you. Have you been considering using JustHost for your web hosting needs? If so, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll start out with an extensive Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) sections that contains information on the most common concerns people have. Then, we’ll cover why choosing JustHost may be a good choice for you. Let’s get started:
Does JustHost offer Linux or Windows hosting?
Their web hosting services are Linux only, and do not include Windows hosting.
Will JustHost try to raise my monthly price when it comes time to renew my contract?
Do the JustHost plans include a free domain?
If I have any downtime, will JustHost provide me with a refund?
Does JustHost have a money back guarantee?
Does JustHost offer Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting plans?
Does JustHost customer support have a phone number where I can reach them?
Yes, their customer support is available to you via live chat and phone 24/7.
What programming languages does JustHost support?
JustHost supports all languages that run on Linux servers, including PHP, Python, Perl, and Ruby on Rails.
Are there any reseller options if I choose JustHost?
No, they don’t offer any reseller plans.
Will JustHost help me to transfer my existing website to their servers?
Am I able to have more than one website on my account at once?
Of course, every JustHost plan includes unlimited domain names, so you can have as many websites as you want.
Is there a control panel software included with the JustHost plan?
Yes, you get cPanel software with every hosting plan.
What payment methods does JustHost accept to make my monthly or yearly payments?
They accept check, money order, Discover, American Express, Visa, MasterCard, and PayPal for any regular payments for service.
Can I set up my web hosting account to make monthly payments?
Does JustHost offer any kind of backup services?
Do students, schools, or nonprofits get a discount for using JustHost services?
Students at participating universities may be eligible for discounted rates for using JustHost for their web hosting services.
Which JustHost plan is the best one for streaming video?
All of the JustHost plans are equally good at streaming high quality audio and video.
Where is the JustHost web hosting service located?
JustHost has a data center located in Chicago, Illinois with over 2,000 servers and four technicians on site at all times.
Does JustHost have a blog and are they on Twitter?
Can I use WordPress on JustHost’s service?
Why You Should Choose JustHost
- When you sign up for JustHost services, you get one free domain name registration. Or, if you choose you can transfer a domain name instead.
- You can host as many domains as you wish from your server. When you sign up for JustHost, you get the benefit of being able to manage all of your websites from one control panel. Have as many or as few websites as you need, because there is no limit.
- You get great uptime. While uptime isn’t guaranteed at JustHost, they are in business to provide you a reliable and secure hosting platform. Their servers all feature quad processor technology, and power back-up is supplied by generators. The data center is monitored at all times, so any issues can be addressed almost immediately.
- Customer support that’s always available. With this web hosting service, you can expect to resolve any issues quickly and easily since they always have technicians available. You can contact them via three easy methods: email, chat, and phone. All three channels can be used 24/7 for your convenience.
- It’s affordable and it’s unlimited. Since uptime isn’t guaranteed at JustHost, they can offer you better pricing than some of the more well known web hosting services. What they are giving you here is a value priced service with unlimited everything. Unlimited domain hosting, unlimited email accounts, unlimited website transfers, and unlimited storage space. You get more and you pay less, but you could experience downtime.
- You can integrate with the control panel. You get cPanel software with your JustHost contract, which allows you to set up your websites the way you want and promote them much more effectively. You can utilize advertising tools, install applications, and even use template designs to make you a much better website manager.
- It’s simple. Unlike other web hosting companies, JustHost tries to keep everything as simple as possible so there’s no confusion. From signing up to using the control panel software, everything is set up to keep things easy. Their entire process is designed to make your life easier, not more complicated.
- You get cPanel. This control panel interface software is an award winner for a reason. It’s very user friendly so you can manage every aspect of your hosting account, allowing you to set up emails, domain names, use database information, and access statistics for all of your websites. cPanel turns you into the host, not the customer.
- Free scripts. When you sign up for JustHost, you get an entire script library, and it’s completely free. Using SimpleScripts, you can install any of the leading scripts, including Joomla, osCommerce, phpBB, and the popular WordPress. This is a good tool and a great value.
- They have a money back guarantee. If you decide to try JustHost, there’s really very little risk involved. Every one of their hosting plans includes a 30-day money back guarantee, so as long as you cancel before the first 30 days has elapsed, you get your full purchase price refunded. If you cancel your account after the 30 days, you get a refund that’s prorated based on how much time you have remaining on your contract. All refunds exclude any registration and setup fees paid, but you get to keep any domain names you may have registered while using JustHost. There’s very little risk to try JustHost services, but many great rewards.
If you’re looking for a low cost option for a web hosting service, you should definitely take a good look at JustHost. This web hosting company has some pretty basic services, but they meet the needs of most average users.
Customer support is pretty good, but the unavailability of Windows hosting is a problem.
Everything is basic here, so advanced users need to keep shopping, and any business customers would want to avoid this service since they don’t guarantee uptime. While reading customer reviews online, we noticed that they were almost all extremely negative, noting serious issues, major downtime, and problems reaching customer service.
This many bad reviews indicates some serious problems, so our advice is to be careful if you choose this service. For average users who want a cheap contract and are shopping on price, JustHost may be the perfect web hosting service for you. For business and e-commerce websites, this is a definite no.
Last Updated on